Housecall Pro is headquartered in beautiful San Diego, CA and has recently announced plans for a Denver, CO hub. We are currently fully remote, although excited to introduce a hybrid work model in the future that will allow for a combination of both remote and in-office work. We are currently open to candidates in San Diego or Denver, or those planning to move there.
At Housecall Pro, we're committed to making the everyday lives of home services professionals better by providing an end-to-end SaaS platform that runs all aspects of a home services business, including scheduling, dispatching, CRM, invoicing, payment processing, and marketing.
Our vision is to revolutionize the home services experience.
Our mission is to unlock the potential of every Pro.
The home services industry remains vast ($700b+) but relatively untouched by technology and unencumbered by a primary competitor. The 3M+ mobile businesses in home services are facing dramatic change as the world shifts from offline to online. Housecall Pro will be there to help these businesses that keep America’s homes working navigate their transition to technology adoption.
The role: Staff Software Engineer - Ruby/RoR
We’re looking for a Staff Software Engineer to work on advanced projects on our flagship Ruby/RoR application. You will be responsible for the development and refinement of new features across our product line. Your primary focus will be to work directly with the product management team to conceive, develop, and refine our core web applications and deliver outstanding experiences and value to our customers. You will work in an iterative, data driven environment to refine the application. Your leadership skills will be important in mentoring junior teammates, leading a team and conducting rigorous code reviews across the teams you work with. A strong commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and the creation of quality products is essential. Your customer-centric focus is critical for our and our customers’ success.
Our Engineering team is extraordinary. We’re a hardworking and focused team driven to deliver industry-leading apps to our service professional customers. Our success is their success. Our team of entrepreneurial, enthusiastic and client-focused team members are the "engine room" of Housecall Pro, helping our customers operate and grow their businesses.
What you'll be doing
- Design, develop and deploy features for Housecall Pro’s core Ruby/RoR applications
- Ensure the performance, quality, and responsiveness of applications
- Work with product management to refine initial concepts features that deliver customer delight
- Build and execute a high velocity of smart, highly performant server side A/B tests to increase business metrics
- Understand clear sub-system boundaries, and make recommendations on where functionality belongs across different sub-systems
- Stay up to date with new Growth and Personalization tools
- Identify and correct bottlenecks and fix bugs
- Develop and maintain code quality standards and enforce them across the team
- Continually introduce architectural improvements and refactorings to the code baseline
- Write automated tests at the appropriate architectural level
- Conduct code reviews and architectural reviews for features developed by other members of the team
- Lead feature teams in their weekly iterations
- Maintain and improve our continuous integration and development environments
- Ability to work at a fast pace with a drive to quickly deliver value to our customers
- BS, MS or Ph.D in a computer science / computer engineering program
- 4 - 10 years industry experience developing commercial Ruby/RoR applications
- 2 - 4 years experience leading teams and performing code reviews
- Advanced knowledge of Ruby/RoR
- Strong architectural ability within Ruby/RoR
- Can communicate and work independently with non-technical stakeholders to see through large epics
- Data Driven
- Depth of understanding and teaching ability in clean code, refactoring, and test-driven development
- Strong understanding of underlying systems architecture
- Independently gain knowledge and opinions on multiple systems
- Researches and assesses current and new technologies
- Experience with performance and memory tuning with tools
- Proficient understanding of Git
- Strong proficiency with continuous integration/continuous deployment
- Experience with Kotlin a plus
- Experience with Swift a plus
- Experience with MaterialUI a plus
Why Housecall Pro
- Housecall Pro is a mission-driven company. Our co-founder/President envisioned a software company to help service professionals like his father (a house painter), get to a better life.
- We save our service professionals time, and help them, in turn, to delight their homeowner customers.
- We are tackling the last, large market ($700b+) untouched by technology and unencumbered by a dominant competitor.
- Our goal is to build a $10 billion+ company that is a powerful brand to home service providers and consumers
- We have fun at work. Really.
- We have a N.A.P. (No Acronym Policy) so we all speak the same language.
- Competitive compensation and benefits (medical, dental, vision, life, disability, employee assistance program, 401K)
- Our passionate employees bring their authentic selves to work. Housecall Pro employees are encouraged to create employee resource groups to make the world better.
- Equity in a growth stage startup backed by top-tier VCs
- Paid holidays and self-managed (unlimited) paid time off
Housecall Pro celebrates belonging and diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees to include equal treatment and opportunity in all aspects of recruitment, selection, and employment without regard to gender, race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other category protected under the law. Housecall Pro is an equal opportunity employer; committed to an environment free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.